In Deuteronomy 6:5-7, we are reminded to, Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul. Love him with all your strength. The commandments I give you today must be in your hearts. Make sure your children learn them. Talk about them when you are at home. Talk about them when you walk along the road. Speak about them when you go to bed. And speak about them when you get up.
I get to experience the way our community of faith lives out these commandments each day through the ministry of our Preschool. Every morning around 9 a.m., you will start to see cars lined up ready to drop off their children at school. Many of these children walk through the door with smiles on their faces anticipating all of the exciting experiences of their day. Our Preschool Directors and Teachers are sharing with these children each day what it means to really love the Lord your God with all of your heart, soul, and strength. They take seriously that we are called to share this message with our children. I believe the ministry that they do day after day is what it means to share #ExtravagantGenerosity.
I have an even greater appreciation for all our Preschool teaches our children since Will started attending last fall. Each day he comes home learning something new... a word, a song, a story, a shape or color, a way to be a friend, a way to share, a way to say Thank You, a way to love.
I would invite you this week to make time for God and faith formation in this year:
- Keep talking about faith. What did you hear in worship on Sunday? What did you hear in Sunday School?
- Pick up a Bible or children's Bible and read together daily.
- Use the time in the car, at a sports practice, or during a lazy Saturday morning at home or on vacation to wonder together about God.
- Adventure outside together looking for signs of God's love and creation.
- Find an outreach project you can participate in together, and help your family understand the connection between helping others and following Jesus.
- Pray together as a family.
- Write down some of the things your family members say about faith or experiences you share.
The hustle and bustle of this time of year is underway. For many your rhythm and routine have changed. As you are wading through or rushing past, take a moment today to think about how you will make time for God? When will faith formation happen?
Prayer for Today
Creator God, open our eyes and ears to the way you are teaching us throughout our week. In Christ's Name, Amen.